Sunday, March 25, 2012

@@ERROR

Hi Folks,
I try to save the error number when a restore fails. In case a device error
I'd like to save the error number into a table. Let's say I have a RESTORE
as below
RESTORE LOG xxxxx
FROM DISK='xxxxxxxxxxx.bak'
PRINT @.@.ERROR
Server: Msg 3201, Level 16, State 2, Line 3
Cannot open backup device 'xxxxxxxxx'. Device error or device off-line. See
the SQL Server error log for more details.
Server: Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 3
RESTORE LOG is terminating abnormally.
If a device errors I want to get the error number 3201, which is more
specific about the cause of failure. However @.@.ERROR is always 3013 which
doesn't help much. How do I get it right as expected?
Thank you.Hmm, this may be tricky.
@.@.ERROR, as I understand it, always has the last immediate error that
occured. So, if you're printing @.@.error after the backup fails, it's always
going to be the last error, which is 3013 in this case.
I don't really see a way to just grab the error directly, other than logging
it to an output file in the job or writing to the event log. It seems to me
the event log is a more approprate place to put the entire message. You
could then import the event log into a table and do a search on that
specific error number.
"Flicker" <hthan@.superioraccess.com> wrote in message
news:ePQlImsUDHA.1276@.TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hi Folks,
> I try to save the error number when a restore fails. In case a device
error
> I'd like to save the error number into a table. Let's say I have a
RESTORE
> as below
> RESTORE LOG xxxxx
> FROM DISK='xxxxxxxxxxx.bak'
> PRINT @.@.ERROR
>
> Server: Msg 3201, Level 16, State 2, Line 3
> Cannot open backup device 'xxxxxxxxx'. Device error or device off-line.
See
> the SQL Server error log for more details.
> Server: Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 3
> RESTORE LOG is terminating abnormally.
> If a device errors I want to get the error number 3201, which is more
> specific about the cause of failure. However @.@.ERROR is always 3013 which
> doesn't help much. How do I get it right as expected?
> Thank you.
>

No comments:

Post a Comment